Kalbi means “Ribs” in Korean, and it is very representative dish of the their culture. Forms of marinate is numerous and characteristic to each cook, and today I attempted to add HOTNESS to this dish.
1) Kalbi (short ribs)
2) Seasame Oil
5) KoChuJan (Korean Hot paste)
6) Chill pepper powder
8) Green onion (negi)
1) Mirin – adds subtle sweetness without use of additional sugar. Its liquid consistency ensures equal distribution through the marinate
2) Lemon Juice – adds the lemon aroma and little acidity
3) Red wine or Cooking Sake – softens the meat and adds the good alcohol smell
4) Chinese soy sauce – a stronger and more flavorful than Japanese/Korean soy sauce
5) Thai Sauce or Sweet&Sour Sauce – gives meat that sweet tangy flavor
1) it’s simple. Simply add the above ingredients to the meat in a bowl, and marinate it for at least a day. This time frame also the sauce to penetrate the meat to give its full taste. The important ingredients are sesame oil, sugar, and soy sauce. This is the foundation of the marinate. Adjust other ingredients to your liking (i.e. Hotpaste for spiciness) .
2) After one day, just cook the meat. that’s all.
WE USED TO BE CUTE